San Antonio Youth Ballet (SAYB) is currently auditioning dance students between the ages of 10 and 18 for its 2016-17 season. SAYB is a pre-professional dance company especially created to give the talented and serious dance student the opportunity to train and perform in a professional environment. Dancers interested in pursuing a career in dance, working towards obtaining a college scholarship or just because the passion for dance exists, are encouraged to call to set up an audition. SAYB is under the umbrella of its professional ballet company, Ballet Latino de San Antonio (BLSA). SAYB’s season is September, 2016 through June, 2017.
Under the direction Danielle Campbell Steans, dancers are exposed to the professional company and often invited to become trainees and perform with the company. Danielle is a former dancer with Ballet San Antonio, Kansas City Ballet, Nashville Ballet and Georgia Ballet. She is ABT certified (the only one currently in the city), a dance curriculum developed by American Ballet Theatre that offers the most up to date technique and teaching tools in order to create well rounded dancers and artists. Dancers will also get to work with BLSA’s Associate Artistic Director, Husan Hopuy and Founder and Artistic Director Emeritus, Mayra Worthen.
Other teachers and choreographers who will also be working with the company this upcoming season are:
Adam Sage – Artistic Director of Missouri Ballet Theater, former Ballet Master of Nashville Ballet and School Director of Nashville Ballet and Virginia School of the Arts
Sandra Pérez Cabrera – Escuela Municipal de Ballet Clásico de Mazatlán, Ballet de
Jimmy Gamonet de los Heros – Artistic Director of Ballet Nacional de Peru, former Ballet Master and Resident Choreographer for Miami City Ballet
Dancers may continue to take classes at the school of their choice. Company classes and rehearsals will take place on Fridays 5:30-8:30pm (for competitions and outreach rehearsals) and Saturdays 12:30-4:00pm (for production rehearsals) at San Antonio Ballet School, 2147 NW Military Hwy, 78213
Arrangements have been made with the directors of several national and international schools/companies who are inviting SAYB members to participate in their programs. Some are:
- A. Missouri Ballet Theater. Selected dancers will be invited to train and participate in their performances as trainees. Dancers will travel to St. Louis, Missouri for this program.
- B. “Cuballet”, a program directed by Laura Alonso, daughter of famous Cuban ballerina, Alicia Alonso. This program consists of a ballet intensive culminating in a performance. Dancers will travel to Cuba for this program.
- C. Escuela Nacional de Ballet de Cuba’s intensive ballet program, where our dancers can study and perform in their “Encuentro Internacional de Academias y Escuelas de Ballet”. Dancers will travel to Cuba for this program.
- D. Ballet Nacional de Peru, where our dancers will participate as an exchange dance student and will perform with the professional company. Dancers will travel to Peru for this program.
The 2016-17 season will consist of:
- Performance of the Renaissance with the Stars Gala at the Tobin Center (Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 6pm). Selected dancers will begin rehearsals in August. Schedule will be based on dancer’s availability
- 2. Competitions (optional)
- 3. Outreach performances
- 4. Blanca Flor (Full Length Ballet )
- 5. Full length production of Cinderella (Choreography by Adam Sage. Sets and costumes courtesy of Missouri Ballet Theater)
- 6. Participation in Ballet Latino de San Antonio’s full length production of Carmen
- 7. Participation (optional) in national and international intensives
If interested in auditioning or for more information, please contact Danielle at email@example.com
2147 NW Military Hwy #1
San Antonio, Texas 78213
p. (210) 802-7931